Saturday, September 25, 2010

Donation Dilemma

The subject of organ donation is one that is highly argued and discussed locally and world wide in this day and age. The question of whether organs should be donated or available for purchase is one that lurks the minds of thousands awaiting a transplant that could save their life. I personally do not believe that one should be able to sell their organs. If one wishes to donate their organs I think that is incredibly generous and helps saves lives, but I do not think one can put a price on this act. Selling organs I think would open up the door to a market that would disadvantage those who are sick but cannot afford to be financially competitive to receive a transplant. I think the system should work where organs go to those most in need depending on age and circumstance, but disregarding the financial situation of the individual.
Martin Wilikinson’s opinions in his article do not change my view on the idea of selling organs. Sure people may be more willing to sell than donate, but the scenario could also go the other way as he pointed out. I do not believe that you can put a price on a human life, or any part of it for that matter. I think giving a price to organs on the market would be opening up a door to a long and unwanted struggle in the medical world. People would be willing to donate only because they are being compensated but where is this compensation money coming from. If it comes from the government it will raise taxes. If it comes from recipients it will make receiving organs a competitive and unfair process. I strongly believe that organs should be donated voluntary and given no cash value in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment